Popular Posts

Friday, April 22, 2011

Nostalgic Photo of ISM 1971 & 1972 Pet. Engg batch!

Farewell Photo of ISM 1971 Petroleum Engineering.

Today I will start with Mr. Suresh Mehta ('62 Mining), -ISMAA Delhi Chapter his words which echoes our hearts and hope it does yours or will go back to school days where we used to sing:

"Na Kabhi Judaa Honge Wo Saathi Hamare"

"Mile The Sabhi Jo Dhayia Ke Kinare".

 And the one, which I murmur in my great nostalgic mood is:

“Zindagi Ek Safar He Suhana, Kal Kya Hogo Kisne Jana”

The above Historical Nostalgic Photo was sent to me by our dear mate Ashok K Syal (’71 Pet. Eng.), farewell photo of 1971 batch given by 1972 batch, hats off to him, as it brought a great response / memories, from seniors, juniors, & our class mates who shared those moments to bring back 40 yrs, when they were at school (ISM). Later I requested them to tag all names. and we were fortunate to tag all.

I am also sad to report that few of our beloved professors and few of our class mates are no more with us. We can all pay tributes to them, who made us all to rejoice of such a long journey from 1971 to 2011. I take this opportunity on behalf of me and my family and on behalf of all who actively participated in this historical photo to pay our deep seated tributes and respects to our departed friends and our departed teaching faculty who are not with us today. There names have been marked red in the tag list.

Well I can say God wanted them early, so they are in Heavens now and May there soul rest in peace. 

This historical photo poured lot of nostalgic replies:

Some of the comments / replies, for every one to rejoice, starts from senior most batches to >>:

Alumni who contributed are from (’60 Mining), (’62 Pet.Tech), (’70 Pet. Engg), (’71 P. Engg), (’71 Mining), (’72 Pet Engg), (’72 Mining), (’73 Pet Engg), (’74 Pet. Engg).

Mr. Ajoy K. Chatterjee (‘60 Mining), India wrote:

Thanks for a rare group photo (forwarded by Mr. Pradip Gangopaghyay -’70 Pet. Engg) consisting of your faculty and students of Petroleum Technology Department of our Alma Mater. In one of my visit to my home town in 1980 or 1986, I came across a Russian Couple inside the ISM campus who were said to be teaching at P.Tech department. I do not recall their names; but both were more than six feet tall and handsome. Do you have any idea who they are? 

Dr. Mohinder Gulati ('62 P.Tech), USA wrote:

It brings back old memories. Prof B P Pandey Ji ('62 P. Tech) is of course my classmate. And I took classes from Late Prof. N V R Subramaniyam and Prof G S Moni & Late Prof. S. Srini-Vasan was my boss at the Research and Training Institute (ONGC) at Sahastrdhara Road in Dehradun in 1965-66.

He would have again been my boss at ISM if I had accepted the Assistant Professorship in 1969. Instead, I chose to come to Stanford in 1969.

Regarding KVSN Murthy, how come he is not in the picture? He came back from UK and was teaching Petroleum Engineering in 1965. I was also teaching there in 1965 as a guest lecturer from ONGC. I saw Murthy's picture accepting some award at the Golden Jubilee celebration of Pet E Dept in 2007.

Mr. Pradip Gangopadhyay ('70 Pet. Eng.), USA wrote:

Prof. K.V.S.N. Murthy taught his class mates Reservoir Engineering in 5th year (1969-70) and he is not in the picture. Prof. B.P. Pandey taught our 1970 Petroleum Engineering batch several subjects, viz., formation evaluation (well logging) and reservoir engineering in 4th year & then taught petroleum economics in 5th year.

Mr. Pradip Gangopadhyay ('70 Pet. Eng.), USA wrote:

This is a very good collection of 1971-72 batches with the teaching faculty and many thanks in sharing with us. I know them and would identify most of them.

First, I would like to write a few words about our Professors:

I recall one statement from Dr. S.N. Sarkar: You deserve, and then desire.

This remained the mantra of my life. If I couldn't accomplish something, I thought I probably don't deserve it. In fact that helped me to overcome any disappointments in life.

(I can add a man rises to what he learns at school, and learning never ends, what he wants to retain, this always leaves a dent marks for ever . I believe sentiments expressed by Mr. Pradip Gangopadhayay are true facts of life, one you want to adore and one you want to make a chapter of your own life, so as to over come any disappointments.)

Memories down the lane:

Dr P. Gopalkrishnan
Swapna & I visited ONGC Chandkeda campus at Ahmedabad. I think the year was 1983(?). I remember Dr. P. Gopalkrishnan ('71 Petroleum Eng.) received us at ONGC, Ahmedabad. He came back from France after receiving his PhD. I talked about huff & puff/steam injection.

Back then, I was working with Dr. Henry B. Crichlow. If I recall correctly, Sood-Sahab [Satinder K. Sood ('66 P. Tech)] was there as well.

I worked with Sood-Sahab in Lakwa oil-fields of Assam, ONGC Eastern Region. 

Prof. Henry Crichlow taught us Reservoir Simulation & Advance Reservoir Engineering at Univ. of Oklahoma, Norman campus. Swapna & I took lessons from him.

Incidentally, Dr. Henry B. Crichlow is the classmate of Dr. Mohinder Singh Gulati ('62 P. Tech) & Dr. Anil Kumar ('65 P. Tech) at Stanford Univ.

Keep up the good work. Good job in identifying the folks in the picture.

Mr. Ramesh K Sansi (’70 Pet.Engg) wrote:

Please accept my greetings to you and the 1971 Pet. Engg. and congrats for the efforts made to identify your batch mates. I wish somebody had a photo for our1970 batch.

Deepak Vidyarthi (’72 Mining) wrote:

You have sent us a golden treasure; will send you list of contacts of our mates soon.
Manoj Dosi (’72 Mining) wrote:
Manoj Dosi


Great remembrance and will some body will have 72 batch photos to share.






Dinesh Gautam (’72 Pet. Engg) wrote:

Lot of old memories flashed by, when you look back at days passed by at ISM. I had forgotten many persons, but by seeing our college mates my memory got a refreshed. Finally they say one picture is worth thousand of words and does bring back a craze to speak / or be connected with them.

Updated list is posted below, (hopefully errors are not there) and one can see names with respect to scanned photo below:

Farewell Photo 1971, Pet.Engg.


Standing from Left to Right:


A1 Vinay Bhusan Poplai ('71 Pet. Engg)
A2 P Gopalakrishnan ('71 Pet. Engg)
A3 S N Chakraborty ('71 Pet. Engg)
A4 Siva Ravindran ('74 Pet. Engg)
A5 Ramesh K Sabharwal ('71 Pet. Engg)
A6 Ramesh C Mahajan ('71 Pet. Engg)
A7 P S Gyani ('72 Pet. Engg)
A8 J P Sharma ('72 Pet. Engg)
A9 A K Agrawal ('72 Pet. Engg)
A10 P K Bishnoi ('72 Pet. Engg)
A11 T C Gupta ('72 Pet. Engg)
A12 Late Amitabh Sengupta ('72 Pet. Engg)
A13 Dinesh Chandra ('72 Pet. Engg)
A14 S R Das ('72 Pet. Engg)
A15 Rathin Chaterjee ('72 Pet. Engg)
A16 Sukumar Majumdar ('72 Pet. Engg)
A17 B M Singh ('72 Pet.Engg)
A18 Subrata Das ('72 Pet. Engg)
A19 Shyamal Barua ('72 Pet. Engg)
A20 Ajay Kumar Kapur ('72 Pet. Engg)
A21 Late Y B Joshi ('72 Pet. Engg)
A22 Late A K Bammi ('72 Pet. Engg)
A23 L C Ram ('71 Pet. Engg)
A24 Bijoy Kumar ('72 Pet. Engg)
A25 T K Das ('71 Pet. Engg)



Sitting from Left to Right:


S1 Ambrish K Gupta ('71 Pet.Engg)
S2 S K Dutta ('71 Pet. Engg)
S3 Prof G S Moni (Reservoir Fluids and Petroleum Refining)
S4 Prof B P Pandey ('62 P.Tech) (Formtn Evaluation / Well logging)
S5 Late Prof. S. Srini-Vasan (Drilling Engg and HOD).
S6 Late Prof. S.N. Sarkar, then Director and Head of App Geology.
S7 Late Prof. N V R Subramaniyam (Petroleum Expl & Drilling fluids)
S8 D K Gautam ('71 Pet. Engg)
S9 Ravi Khanna ('71 Pet. Engg)
S10 Niladri Mitra ('71 Pet. Engg)
S11 Ashok Kumar Syal ('71 Pet. Engg)
S12 P K Johri ('71 Pet. Engg)
S13 Rajiv Kapur ('71 Pet. Engg)


Its very difficult to mention all names, but  my congrats goes to all, who made it happen, and that's why I keep on saying where there is will, there is way to accomplish. Hats off to all, we need more nostalgic photos of our times.

May be we have current photos with our children & grand children etc., how's that!

Hope some who are still sleeping, do not find time, or are lazy, would soon try to share, there treasure with us, please send your photos, and leave it rest to me.

I know so many of our fellow mates have contributed, so my sincere thanks goes to all, who did respond and those who did not, there will be yet another time for those who did not participated, so lets all rejoice these moments.

I would also request, all our friends, who are in photo, send us, passport size current photo, which will add further flare to our album / blog which will go live thereafter. I hope those who are not in photo may also send us, to make batch wise photo together.

I have copied to all who made it happen, if some is missed out, please let me know.

One more request for batches 1972, 1973 & 1974, send me any photos of your times, will be much appreciated.

My final thoughts goes to Siva Ravindran ('74 Pet.Engg) to place his final boundary to complete list, much appreciated.

This historical photo with all names has gone live now for all ISM fraternity to have a glimpse & rejoice some special moments of life as it came to me. Special thanks from all of us goes to Ashok Kumar Syal who shared with us this historical photo.

I pen down here, this blog is finally completed after 8 to 10 hours of compilation and editing to make it nostalgic look.


Arun Talwar, 22 04 2011.

No comments: