Popular Posts

Friday, December 3, 2010

ISM passing out Batch 1971!

ISM Main Building Side View

Its been my pleasure to start this blog, as I thought best way to get connected with our class mates of 1971 batch, to which I belong, but is open to all ex-students, past and present including staff who has contributed so fondly to make us what we are today. I would like to share my days spent at Indian School of Mines, fondly to local people is known as Mining College.

Mission:

My mission is to see, if we all contribute to my blog, with memories, stories, photos etc of our days spent together at
Mining College will be inspiration to our future generations, who will have some thing to read and to know of our days spent together. I know most of our friends / colleagues may not be computer novice, but there children will be, who could get every one connected and could chat with there parents to place there memories.

Brief Background: 

The school was laid on the pattern of Royal School of Mines (RSM), London to impart studies in Mining and related fields. Later on the lines of RSM, London, ISM, Dhanbad, India was created on 09th Dec 1926; when his Excellency The Vice Roy Lord Erwin formally opened this great institute of excellence.

From 1926 to 1966, a span of 4 decades it was under the umbrella of Government of India, both during colonial and after independence with present Republic of India. It was granted university status, in the year 1967, which was during our period of study. I remember no body liked to get their batches, (emblems for our blazer) removed to new ones as old had Ashoka Lion on it, which earned a great respect when we used to travel on trains etc.

Location:

It is situated in the heart of India's major coking coal belt, so called Jharia Coal Belt. Its nearest rail station being DHANBAD, with ISM campus spread over 88 hectares, is fully residential and has facilities which I believe have been upgraded to match global institutes around the globe, as lot of constructions had been going during late. Late Prof G S Marwah’s time, when I happened to visit school way back in Jan to Aug’ 1983, to get my papers organized through him and Prof A K Ghosh for my admission to Imperial College of Science & Tech / Royal School of Mines, London, UK.

The School has links with reputed universities and institutes across the globe and has an alumni base all over the world. I can say with confidence, that students from our college earn lot of respect in universities here and abroad.

Our Days:

I joined ISM, Dhanbad, in July 1966 on the basis of all India entrance exams. Our director then was Prof D N Prasad (who I am told is no more, will write his memories separately, what a great teacher, professor, father, friend - respect he had in the hearts of students, both past and present. I was offered Mining Geophysics, which was my first option, which later, I changed to Mining, possibly when I entered second year and there after carried on to complete Mining Engineering degree in the year 1971. 

So my passing out batch was 1971. We started with a mining engineering batch of around 90 students, but by final year we were 50, as some left us after 1st year, some after second and very few before the end of 3rd year.

Our first stay at ISM, was in barracks accommodation, (had upper and lower, we stayed in room no: 253, upper barracks) and me and my room mate Ashwani Sarin stayed together. 

Later, in second year, we moved to Old Hostel, Room No: 88 and I lost my friend Ashwani Sarin who left us, to join Stephen College, in Delhi to pursue, English Honors and made his career as a Journalist along with many more. 

In 1981, just few years after his graduation from Stephen College, head lines zoomed with a story of from my friend, Ashwani Sarin a then resident of Malviya Nagar, New Delhi regarding purchase of Kamala a mother of six children for two thousand rupees only. He attained many highs and lows, but I believe that he instead of becoming Mining Engineer became India's famous Journalist with lot of presidential awards in his kitty.

We did keep our friendship for many years, even after my passing out, but off late I have lost connection with him. Never know if we get connected through my blog.

Some where, in second year we moved to Old Hostel and stayed at Room no 81, single than twin sharing in first year, with neighbors as P D Sharma (fondly we used to call him Shastri, sadly he is no more), M S Sandhu, Subash Jain, V K Sawhney, P K Sharma, far end towards main road was room for Shashi Kapoor, and room facing road was Vinay Dewan (our senior).

Few others to recall were Virendar Sawhney (whom I managed to speak after 4 decades), Manjit Singh Sandhu, and O P Arora, S J Sibal (now retired from highest position DGMS), Subash Jain and many more.

Later when we were moving to 4th year, we moved to New Hostel at Room No: 81, which was ex- P K Chandiok my senior's room. He passed out in 1969 batch along with Mr. R D Passi and others.

We moved to final year in 1970 as our sessions were going almost 6 months behind schedule, and after our final exams, in Dec’ 1971, last part was to submit our final year thesis, as a prerequisite to complete degree was I may recall titled "Recent Developments in Linear Measuring Instruments" under the guidance of Prof S P Ahuja. Thesis was finally submitted on 27th Dec’ 1971, and me and my fellow class mates who had completed left by Kalka Mail back to our home town, from where we first came to join our school. A feeling of satisfaction, also not knowing what future has is store for us.

On 28th Dec' 1971, I reached home as a free bird, had lot many thoughts going back of the mind. My parents, where happy to see that I am back home, possibly to be called in few months as Graduate Mining Engineer. But to my surprise, was O P Arora my classmate was waiting to at my house convincing my parents, before my arrival that they should leave my evening or night train back to Dhanbad, so that we could start our work at Mosaboni Mines, from 01st Jan' 1972. This happen to be our first job, unlike PGPT Training, it was company arranged.

Initially, I was a bit hesitant as I wanted to spend some time with my family, but later we both left to start our new career, and reached Dhanbad on 30th Dec and by taxi to Mosaboni on 31st Dec' 1971, and occupied New Hostel wing which was newly constructed for Graduate Trainee's at Mosaboni.

I stayed at Room No:10 with another graduate M S Raju from Raipur, and O P Arora and R K Diwedi lived together in adjacent Room no:9. This remained our home until May’ 1975, when I moved to ICC Flats as I was then engaged to my life partner.

We started on job training after first few weeks roaming in different departments, and had it was most enjoyable period we all had, as in New and Old Hostel had approximately 20 trainees, both graduate , diploma in mining and mechanical and later electrical also joined and we all lived there.

My memories for Mosaboni Mines is being blogged in yet another chapter, which all can read at:
  • http://mosabonimines.blogspot.com/
I had connection with Prof S P Ahuja, even after my marriage (Dec’1975) and we had our first baby (Dec’ 1976), she was few months old, when we stayed at his home, in staff colony. What a great time we spent together (1977), from our academic staff to family. Days. He had always been great inspiration to me, and our bondage grew more while I was in final year. I have not been able to connect with him, am told he possibly is settled with his son in Australia.

Some of the ex-ISM friends I am in touch with or was after passing out from school:
  1. Subash Jain - settled in Houston, USA.
  2. Vijay Kumar Agarwal - settled in Melbourne, Australia
  3. N S Dhanota - settled in New Delhi, India.
  4. R P Prashara - settled in Chandigrah, India.
  5. R Y Kutumbe - settled in Nagpur, India.
  6. A B Deoras - settled in Nagpur, India.
  7. O P Arora - settled in Bombay or N Delhi, India.
  8. R K Diwedi - settled in Allahabad, India.
  9. K M Agarwal - settled in Tatanagar, India.
  10. B B Sarkar - sadly he is no more, was settled in Tatanagar, India.
  11. S B Sarkar - settled in Tatanagar, India.
  12. S B Shrivastava - still works for ISM, Dhanbad, India.
  13. H V Sharma - works in Indonesia.
  14. G S Marwah (Prof) - Director of ISM - sadly he is no more now.
  15. A K Ghosh - Prof in Mining Engineering.
  16. Deepak Gupta - Inspector of Mines, settled in Goa.
  17. Virendar Sawhney - settled in Gurgaon, India.
  18. Shashi Kapoor - settled in Hyderabad.
  19. Manjit Singh Sandhu – settled in Noida, Haryana, India.
  20. P S Grewal - settled in Calcutta (met him last with my family way back in 1976 / 77's at Ranchi, just after Chasnala Disaster). Not in touch now.
  21. S J Sibbal - last met him in Dhanbad, when he had two young daughters, way back in 1976 /77, and now retired awaiting response to my e-mail.
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER:

On 21st July' 1969, old hostel balcony, in the midst of our exams for 3rd year (session was running late), is a great night to remember. All our class mates were glued to radio / transistor sets, for: Apollo 11- Moon Landing which took place on 21st July 1969

We were staying at old hostel, we are were glued that night for news on radio's or transistor's (so do my classmates and me were no wonder were also glued to hear first hand news on there ears), along with all the world around the globe were awaiting eagerly to hear the news, of Apollo 11 flight which was heading towards moon for astronaut's to walk on moon soil. 

Later, that night Astronaut Neil Armstrong and his mate Adrian walked on the soil of Moon, when all of us had a great sigh of relief and happiness. 

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=1969-059A,

"The Lunar Module landed at 20:17:40 UT (4:17:40 p.m. EDT) in Mare Tranquilitatis (the Sea of Tranquility), Armstrong reporting, "Houston, Tranquility Base here - the Eagle has landed."

Armstrong stepped onto the lunar surface at 02:56:15 UT on 21 July (10:56:15 p.m. July 20 EDT). 

Following are the notes from above web site, along with what Neil Armstrong spoke when he stepped on moon.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind",

And Aldrin followed 19 minutes later.

The astronauts deployed the EASEP and other instruments, took photographs, and collected 21.55 kg of lunar rock and soil.

Briefly, astronauts traversed a total distance of about 250 meters. The EVA ended at 5:11:13 UT when the astronauts returned to the lunar module and closed the hatch."

Those words spoken by Neil Armstrong became great words / quote of all time, which people still speak with love and respect."

Well for more details, one can refer above web site, for some of the greatest photos mankind could see.

Journey / Era at ISM were half way through:

At the end of 3rd year or beginning of 4th year, our batch moved to New Hostel and my room was in front wing room no 88, which was previously occupied by my senior friend Mr. P K Chandiok (who was a great inspiration to me in person, for hard work, to achieve your goals). 

My next room mate was Mr. Subash Jain (now settled in Houston, USA), with whom I got connected in the year 2000, when I moved from Zambia for good to Auckland, via Alumni .com, since then we are in touch with each other over phone along with Vijay K Agarwal, who even traveled to Auckland and we spent some time together with nostalgia with our families.

Until 2009, I was only in touch with Subash Jain mostly over phone, when one day I got a call that his son is coming for honey mooning to our Auckland. His son arrived here on 25th Dec' 2008 on Christmas Morning, we  received  him, at the Auckland airport brought him & his wife to our home, with whatever fellow friend hospitality could have been offered. His son could not believe how a tradition of ISM for fellow class mates/ juniors / seniors etc still persists to this day. Hope fully he enjoyed whatever little time he had with us. I have added  dual photo of Shashi Kapoor  (left facing) &   Subash Jain (right facing) of ISM days.

His wife Swati & Mahyul, with me and my wife along with our eldest daughter Gitanjali & grand daughter Meera, for some of the happy moments we spent together on Christmas afternnoon of Dec' 2008. 
Recently on 21st April' 2011, Subash Jain sent me his family photo, with his son and daughter  - there families along with proud parents  with grand children in there laps. Compare the photo of Subash Jain with ISM days, no body can recognize him. See how our bodies have changed over the past 40 yrs. I can only recognize him, with his voice, until we may have an opportunity to meet once gain in our life's.

Some of the traditions of ISM graduates are greater bondage, right from entering the college to this day when we are all retired from active mining life. Seniors help juniors for school notes, books, hosting them when we used to go for field training in different mining fields, whether coal or metal mines, both open cast or underground, only thing we always saw was who ex-ISM is working as a Manager there. I am forgetting name of the person, who was our draftsman, who could from his memory would tell us so and so is working in that mine etc. for us to facilitate our training to the best.

Some more memories are for our Mess System:
  1. I mean our mess system, which was fully run by students. In the year 1966, we used to spend & three rupees per day, I mean a total mess bill of Rupees 80 to 90, and by the time we passed out in 1971, our mess bill was rupees 100 to 120. 
  2. I recall, when in our 1st year our bill rose to Rs4.00 per day, there was too much of hue and cry. Later that exercise of running mess, fell on my hands along with few class mates like Sawhney, Sandhu, Syal etc, and our mess bill was record the lowest of my stay in ISM which was Rs. 2.70, per day (all meals, break fast, lunch, evening tea and dinner etc), amounting to Rs. 81.00 pm. What a satisfaction, we got it, and the whole story went like wild fire to our seniors, who could hardly believe it?
  3. We did it, by getting things on whole sale prices, doing survey the market, where we could get groceries, eggs, meat etc at reasonable prices. 
  4. We could sustain our life at parents expense of rupees 150 to 200 per month. This I believe must be around Rs 3000.00 to Rs. 4000.00 per month won’t know what correct figure is this day. But see, if some one could help me from passing our batches.
  5. To this day, every one will remember Ram Dhani ki Chai, near rear gate after L - Block (although current topography has changed quite a lot as during Prof G S Marwah, Director who did lot of constructions etc, to what school is today. 
Prof S B Shrivastava

One day, I would love to see my school, again as I still have one connection known to me from ISM and MSB days and has invited me to visit  school, is Prof S B Shrivastava to whom I recently spoke after many years over phone, since we left for Zambia in Dec' 1989.


Famous Eating Places for us:
  1. Money Mess, we used to call, when we used to go out our school, just situated on the left of Main Gate, on the road side Dhaba which goes to Asonsol. Here in our days, we used to get our dosas, idlis, vadas, uptham etc along with samber etc. One could get his fill in just Rs. 2.00, what is today?
  2. I believe no one will forget our milk with pera, or masala chai with Ganesh Shop at Dhanbad Railway Station. 
Dhanbad Railway Station
Night Adventure Near Dhanbad Railway Station:  

One night, some where when we were in New Hostel, S J Sibal, Subash Jain and Shashi Kapoor and myself took a rickshaw for night adventure to Dhanbad Railway Station rapped up our body in white bed sheet, like a dhoti to have Ganesh Shop Chai. We kept on smiling, making fun, laughing all through till we returned that night to hostel.


I will continue later again, to complete my memories. God bless, turned +60, retired from active mining life and joy to see children settling now and spending playing time with my grand kids.

(updated 05 05 2011).



2 comments:

Atul Tiwari said...

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2003/06/22/images/2003062200490502.jpg

BLACK COFFEE presents its production of Vijay Tendulkar's "Kamala" this week. Many will remember journalist Ashwini Sarin's path-breaking investigative series in 1981 on the flesh trade in Madhya Pradesh, and the woman, Kamala, whom he "bought" for Rs. 2,300. Renowned playwright Vijay Tendulkar scripted "Kamala" based on this story and staged the play 150 times in 32 cities and in seven languages. Black Coffee's production features Anil Abraham, Hamsa Moily, Balaji Manohar, Mili Nair, Sanjeev Iyer and Shalina Gupta. Directed by Preetam Koilpillai. At the Auditorium, Alliance Française, on June 23, 24 and 25 at 7.30 p.m. Tickets (Rs.100) at Supermarket (Brigade Road) and Café de Paris (AFB).

(The Hindu article on Ashwini Sarin)

talwar1948 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.